Thread:
Setting Material Block for Rotary machining
You’re logged in as:guest
Online users:0
Online guests:82

cimtech_
2018-08-21
19:04 CEST
Good Day I would like to use the rotary function but I notice the block is cylindrical when setting up on deskproto. however I am not using round blocks but 4 sided blocks .is it possible to customize the block to be a 4 sided block instead of cylinder
When I use 2 or more sides automatic rotation it allows me to cutomise a 4 sided block but with rotary it is only round thnks

Lex
2018-08-22
09:41 CEST
Hi Cimtech,

Indeed for rotary machining DeskProto assumes that the stock is a cylindrical. An option to change that to a rectangular stock is not present, sorry about that. You are not the only one requesting this, so it is on our to-do list for a future version.

For now the solution needs to be to define a cylinder in DeskProto with a diameter that matches the diagonal of your square stock. As a result some milling in air will be done. Only when roughing though, so it will not cost much extra time.

Lex.

amstanley
2018-09-02
21:04 CEST
I bought a lathe and rough the stock round. also a solution

JamesR
2018-11-03
09:02 CET

I have a related question. I'm wanting to machine 3 lobe Roots supercharger rotors, but the stock is not positioned with it's axis along the axis of the STL file. I cannot find a way to move the center of the stock to correspond with the rotational axis of the model. Any suggestions?

Lex
2018-11-03
09:08 CET
Hi James,

Several suggestions in fact :-)
You can find them on this Tips & Tricks page.
Success!

Lex.

JamesR
2018-11-03
16:53 CET
Thank you Lex! Will check the page tonight.